Distance from Potenza: 38 km
Distance from Matera: 73 km
Altitude: 750 m amsl
Postal code: 85010
Inhabitants: 1029 (Campomaggioresi)
Commune in the province of Potenza
This village was built in a panoramic view, facing the wonderful Dolomiti Lucane.
Its name comes from a Roman camp called ‘Campus Maior’ that used to be in this area.
This village was abandoned in 1600 and then repopulated in 1673 by the Rendina Earls. In 1885 a landslide seriously damaged the old village, now known as ‘Campomaggiore Vecchio’, forcing people to move to the place where the centre is now.
Inside the village there is the beautiful Parish Church, were a painting of the ‘Madonna col Bambino’, XVII century, attributed to the painter Nicola Peccheneda, is kept.
The cronoscalata of Campomaggiore is an important event.