APT Basilicata

APT Basilicata

Basilicata turistica

Castronuovo di Sant'Andrea

Info
Distance from Potenza: 100 km

Distance from Matera: 97 km

Altitude: 650 m amsl

Postal code: 85030

Inhabitants: 1540 (Castonovesi)

Commune in the province of Potenza

The first recordings of this village date back to 1125, when it is mentioned in a document by the name of ‘Castra Castrorum’. Many scholars think that the origins of this village date back to the V-VI century A.D., when the inhabitants spread around the countryside found refuge in a military camp that they called ‘Castrum Novum’, in order to escape the numerous invasions of the Barbarians.

This name was then changed into ‘Castronuovo’, to which the name of Sant’Andrea was later added, as a tribute to Andrea Avellino, a member of the Teatino order, born in Castronuovo in 1521 and canonised in 1721.

In this village there are the Chapel of Santa Maria delle Grazie and the old Main Church that has been restored several times. Inside this Church some frescos are kept. Sant’Andrea’s Chapel was built where the house of the Saint used to be.

In the village it is also possible to find two imposing buildings, the ‘Castello Marchesale’ and the ex ‘Palazzo Speziale’.

Amministrazione Comunale

85030 - Via Giardino
Tel. 0973 835045 - Fax 0973 835900
E-mail: romegraziano@libero.it

Pro Loco di Castronuovo di Sant’Andrea

Piazza C. Zaccara, 4
85030 - Castronuovo di Sant’Andrea (PZ)
Tel.: 0973 835484 - Fax: 0973 835484
Cell.: 340 5674292
E-mail: prolococastronuovo@tiscali.it
ANNO INIZIO ATTIVITA': 2001
POSIZIONE: centro
ORARI: 10:00-12:30 e 16:00-19:00
NOTE: Gestisce attualmente la biblioteca comunale "Alessandro Appella".