Distance from Potenza: 121
Distance from Matera: 116
Altitude: mt 530 amsl
Postal code: 85033
Inhabitants: 1666 (Episcopioti)
Commune in the province of Potenza
The origin of the name of this village is rather archaic and comes from the word ‘episkopia’, meaning look out. There used to be a manor built on a rock spur, hard to besiege.
In the middle of the village there is the Castle with two towers, a cylindrical and a square one. At the entrance of the Castle there are some frescos, representing a coat of arms with the images of a reptile and a warrior.
The Convent, with Sant’Antonio’s Church, was built in the suburbs of the village in the second half of the XVI century and then occupied by the Franciscan Observants. The Church is in Baroque style, with engravings representing puttos and other images.
Inside the Main Church there are several niches with some statues, amongst them there is the statue of the Madonna del Piano and the statue of San Nicola, protector of this village.
Some miles away from the centre there is the Convent of Santa Maria del Piano. Every year on the 4th and 5th August, there is a celebration in the Madonna del Piano’s honour.
85033 - Via Ing. G. Bruno, 115
Tel. 0973 655013 - Fax 0973 655300