APT Basilicata

APT Basilicata

Basilicata turistica

Genzano di Lucania

Info
Distance from Potenza: 55 km

Distance from Matera: 65 km

Altitude: 555 m amsl

Postal code: 85013

Inhabitants: 6175 (Genzanesi)

Commune in the province of Potenza

The origins of Genzano date back to the VII-VI centuries B.C., when the inhabitants of the ‘Pagus Gentianum’, a Roman settlement, moved to this area because of the repeated invasions and in order to defeat malaria. In the XI century this village was under the Norman control of ‘Roberto il Guiscardo’, and was later given as a fief to several lords, until 1806, when the king of Naples, Giuseppe Bonaparte, abrogated feudality.

In the old centre there is the Church of Santa Maria della Platea, in which an image painted on stone, of the XVII century, can be found.

In a panoramic position there is the Convent of the Clarisses, founded by the Sancia family, in the XIV century. Nuns used to live in it up to 1905.

Not far from the village there is the Fontana Cavallina, in neoclassic style, with an amphitheatre shape.

On the old Castle a beautiful palace was built. It is now the site of the Town Hall.

Amministrazione Comunale

85013 - Piazza Risorgimento, 1
Tel. 0971 776416 - Fax 0971 775819
E-mail: comunegenzano@rete.basilicata.it