Distance from Potenza: 61 km
Distance from Matera: 44 km
Altitude: 550 m amsl
Postal code: 75022
Inhabitants: 5789 (Irsinesi)
Commune in the province of Matera
This town, which until the end of the XIX century was named ‘Montepeloso’, had a great importance in the Roman Epoch and was one of the most developed centres in Basilicata in the period of the Longobard and the Byzantine domination.
During the Norman occupation, the town became fief of many families of noble birth and in 1123 Pope Callisto II made it Episcopal seat through a bull.
The Cathedral, dedicated to the ‘Madonna dell’Assunta’ is beautiful: it was built in the XIII century and changed in 1777; it has a Baroque façade and a mullioned window bell tower in Gothic style.
A great charm is peculiar to the Church of the Convent of San Francesco, dating from the XII century, and to the Church of the Purgatory, in which there is a beautiful painting representing the ‘Nozze di Cana’ dating from 1600.
In the town there is also the Museum Janora, in which a vast collection of archaic vases, prehistoric handworks, coins, antiques and feminine costumes dating from 1700 are kept.
75022 - Corso Musacchio
Tel. 0835 628711 - Fax 0835 628736
Via Bruno Buozzi, 1
75022 - Irsina (MT)
Cell.: 328 8491035
ANNO INIZIO ATTIVITA': 1996
ORARI: 9:00-13:00 e 17:00-20:00
LINGUE PARLATE: inglese, francese