Distance from Potenza: 90 km
Distance from Matera: 148 km
Altitude: 666 m amsl
Postal code: 85042
Inhabitants: 6148 (Lagonegresi)
Commune in the province of Potenza
The name of this village comes from ‘Lacus Niger’, a lake with black waters that does not exist any longer. This village used to be lived in by a Basil community and was then fortified by the Longobards from Salerno. After the Norman Conquest, it was surrendered to the Lauria County. Later on, it belonged to several different feudal families until 1551, when it was set free by Paolo Marsicano.
This village is composed of two parts: the old part, built around the ruins of the feudal Castle, and the new one, characterised by a large square with trees, called ‘Piano’. This village has several remarkable constructions.
2 km far from the village there are the zoological gardens ‘Giada’, created a passionately fond of exotic animals and who later gave it to the Town Council.
Near Lagonegro there is the Sirino Lake, rich in trout, eels and other kinds of fish.
85042 - Via Tribunale, 5
Tel. 0973 41330 - Fax 0973 21930