Distance from Potenza: 68 km
Distance from Matera: 68 km
Altitude: 546 m amsl
Postal code: 75010
Inhabitants: 613 (Olivetesi)
Commune in the province of Matera
This village was built at the foot of the Croccia Mountain. It already existed during the Norman period. During the Aragonese domination it was governed by Ferrante Diaz Garlon d’Alife. In 1715 Oliveto Lucano was bought by Girolamo de Lerma, Duke of Castelmezzano and his heirs kept control over it up to 1812. Later, several feudal families governed the place.
In the ancient feudal Castle there is an imposing portal surmounted by the coat of arms of the Revertera family, once owners of the Castle.
Around this village there are some ruins of an ancient civilisation existing between the VI and the IV centuries A.D., such as some ruins of walls, arcades and the entrance to the town.
Passing through the surrounding woods it is possible to reach the top of the Croccia Mountain. From there the Dolomiti Lucane and the luxurious Gallipoli-Cognato Forest can be admired.