Distance from Potenza: 128 km
Distance from Matera: 145 km
Altitude: 620 m amsl
Postal code: 85048
Inhabitants: 3953 (Rotondesi)
Commune in the province of Potenza
What is known about the origin of this village is that the people who used to live in the Valley of the Mercure River found shelter in the place where Rotonda is now, as a consequence of the Gothic invasion. The village was first occupied by the Longobards and the Normans, then went under several lords. It took part to the Republican Risings of 1799 and in 1860 welcomed the troops of Garibaldi coming from Calabria and going to Naples.
In the village there is the imposing Church of Santa Maria della Consolazione. Inside it there are a beautiful marble statue of the Madonna of 1512 and two round marble bas-reliefs of the XVII century with golden carvings in wood. There is also a Fortress, built in 1822, as a protection against brigands.
This village, inside the territory of the National Park of Pollino, is situated in an area with a rich variety of plants (such as the Pino Loricato) and animals (wolves, foxes, wild pigs).
With the help of the local structures, it is possible to have a guided excursion in the Park or to stay in one of the mountain huts in the area.