APT Basilicata

APT Basilicata

Basilicata turistica

Satriano di Lucania

Info
Distance from Potenza: 25 km

Distance from Matera: 124 km

Altitude: 636 m amsl

Postal code: 85050

Inhabitants: 2358 (Satrianesi)

Commune in the province of Potenza

This village was built on the highest part of the Melandro Valley. In 1420 it was destroyed by the mercenary troops of Queen Giovanna II. The survivors found refuge near Tito, where they built the village called ‘Pietrafixa’, nowadays called Satriano di Lucania. Only the Tower and some ruins of the old village have been kept.

Along the streets of the old centre there are several palaces of the XVI, XVII and XVIII centuries. Amongst them ‘Palazzo Pignatelli’, with a portal of 1542, and ‘Palazzo Abbanante’, with a portal of the XVIII century.

In the Parish Church there are some frescos by Pietrafesa, who was born in Satriano, and some precious canvases of the XVIII century. In the Church of Santa Maria di Costantinopoli there is a precious wooden sculpture of the XV century, representing the ‘Madonna col Bambino’.

In this village there are still some old traditions, such as the one connected to the celebration of the ‘Madonna delle Grazie’. In this occasion, the ‘cinti’, ears of wheat weaved around a circle and decorated with laces and religious images, are taken in procession.

Amministrazione Comunale

85050 - Via De Gregorio, 23
Tel. 0975 383121 - Fax 0975 383122
E-mail: rocchina.sangiacomo@rete.basilicata.it
Web: www.comune.satriano.pz.it

Pro Loco di Satriano di Lucania

Via Verdi, 15
85050 - Satriano di Lucania (PZ)

Back to Top