Distance from Potenza: 115 km
Distance from Matera: 68 km
Altitude: 210 m amsl
Postal code: 75028
Inhabitants: 5757 (Tursitani)
Commune in the province of Matera
Presumably the town was founded by the Goths who, after destroying the ancient rural town of Anglona in 410, built their fortress in the nearby area. It was subsequently dominated by the Sanseverino, Doria, Visconti and Colonna Doria families.
In the town, the Capuchins' monastery, founded in 1568 and definitively abandoned in 1866, is interesting. The most important church in the area is the shrine of the Madonna di Anglona, visited by a lot of pilgrims every year.
The church of Santa Maria Maggiore is very interesting from an artistic point of view. It is characterised by a XV century portal and the inside where it is possible to admire a stoup of 1518 is interesting too.
In the town, it is possible to visit some very beautiful churches such as the church of San Filippo Neri and the church of the Madonna delle Grazie.
The ‘Rabatana’ is very interesting too.
The town is also known for being the birthplace of the famous poet Albino Pierro, who gave prominence to dialect poetry with his works translated into several languages.
Via Santi Quaranta
75028 - Tursi (MT)
Tel.: 0835 500000 - Fax: 0835 500000
Cell.: 333 6401629
ANNO INIZIO ATTIVITA': 1998
LINGUE PARLATE: inglese, tedesco, spagnolo
NOTA: presidio turistico in piazza Maria SS. d'Anglona (aperto da giugno a settembre).