Distance from Potenza: 46 km
Distance from Matera: 114 km
Altitude: 1023 m amsl
Postal code: 85059
Inhabitants: 3144 (Viggianesi)
Commune in the province of Potenza
Overlooking the Agri Valley, it used to be inhabited by Basil monks and was later walled by the Normans.
Between the XVII and the XVIII centuries, it was one of the best known villages in Basilicata for its woodcraft, in particular for the production of harps and other musical instruments. In the same period the fame of the musicians from Viggiano was spread. People playing harp and violin used to go around villages, not only in Italy, but also in France, Germany, England and America.
In the village there are the remains of the feudal Castle, while along the streets there are old fountains and palaces having portals carved with harps and violins.
In the ‘Basilica of Santa Maria del Deposito’ (Cathedral) there is a wooden statue of the ‘Madonna Nera’ (the Black Madonna), which on the first Sunday in May is brought in procession to the Sanctuary of the Sacred Mountain, 12 km away.
Via Regina Elena, 15
85059 - Viggiano (PZ)
Tel.: 0975 61647 - Fax: 0975 61647
ANNO INIZIO ATTIVITA': 1977
ORARI: 9:30-13:00 e 16:30-20:00; chiuso il lunedì